Voluntary Service (FSJ)
(National visa, category D, long term/permanent)
FSJ visas are intendend for applicants who have a FSJ contract in Germany. In addition to providing documentation regarding the FSJ assignment, the applicant might also need to show German language skills (minimum A1 level). This needs to be clarified with the organization in Germany.
To apply for your visa at the German Embassy Nairobi:
1. Check if you can apply at the German Embassy Nairobi
2. Make sure you have the required German language skills if necessary for your organization
3. Make sure you have all the necessary documents
4. Book your visa appointment online
5. Come to the German Embassy Nairobi for your appointment
6. Wait up to 9 weeks for approval of your visa request
7. Make travel arrangements only once you have your visa
8. Welcome to Germany!
Who can apply at the German Embassy Nairobi?
Please note that all long term visa applicants will have to apply in person at the German Embassy Nairobi, as finger prints need to be taken of each applicant. It is therefore no longer possible to send applications via courrier services to the German Embassy.
Yes. The German Embassy Nairobi will issue long term category D national visa to applicants residing in Kenya (Kenyans and other). Nationals other than Kenyans will have to show a valid resident-permit and re-entry pass.
Please note that the Honorary Consul in Mombasa cannot issue long term visa.
Yes. The German Embassy Nairobi will issue long term category D national visa to applicants residing in Seychelles (Seychellois and other). Nationals other than Kenyans will have to show a valid resident-permit and re-entry pass for the Seychelles.
Please note that the Honorary Consul in the Seychelles cannot issue any visa.
Documents required for a voluntary service visa
The following documents are required for a voluntary service visa. Please note that only complete applications will be accepted. Incomplete applications, forged documents and false information will result in immediate rejection and might lead to prosecution.
Checklist Voluntary Service [pdf, 87.21k]
Book your visa appointment now!
Visa appointments can only be obtained online. Please note that processing of a category C Schengen visa (e.g. business, visitor's, medical) will take 7 working days (in exceptional cases up to 15 working days). The processing of a long term category D visa (e.g. marriage, family reunion) can take up to 9 weeks.
Online visa appointment
Schengen visa (short-term):
- Adult (12 years and above): EUR 60,-
- Minor (6-11 years): EUR 35,-
- Child (0-5 years): exempted
National visa (long-term):
- Adult (18 years and above): EUR 75,-
- Minor : EUR 37,50
- By credit card (international cards only)
- Cash, payable in Kenya Shillings, at the Embassy's current exchange rate
Exemption of fees (all categories, free visa):
- Spouses and minor children of German or E.U. nationals
- Parents of German or E.U. minor children